Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
1. Cook penne in large pot of salted boiling water, 9-11 minutes or until al dente. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add garlic and cook 2-4 minutes until golden brown, watching carefully so the garlic doesn't burn! Remove and discard garlic.
3. Add tomatoes and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil. Boil 1-2 minutes or until hot, mashing tomatoes with a potato masher until sauce is blended and almost smooth.
4. Add drain penne to skillet. Increase heat to medium high; stir until blended. Place in a serving bowl; sprinkle with cheese.
1. You can use 4 dried chilies in place of cayenne pepper. To use this, cook the chilies with the garlic and discard the chilies when you discard the garlic. This will flavor the oil. I have not tried using dried chilies myself.
2. Sometimes I add extra cayenne pepper! We like it hot - careful though, don't make it too hot!
3. Trust me, DON'T BURN THE GARLIC! I don't know if any of you have ever burned garlic, but just ask Rob - it's not a good scene!